Tuesday 30 December 2008

Review of the Year (Running)

2008 was a bit of a mixed bag for me as far as the old running went. It started well with a good run at Lumphanan (and a new 10K PB) but then went downhill as I was hit by problems with gout, grump1, and panng2. I still managed a decent run at Balmoral, a PB at the Baker Hughes 10K, and an enjoyable run at the Ythan challenge, but I felt I couldn't get my speed up, and was a bit disappointed by my time at the Glen Clova Half Marathon. The year finished well enough with a good run at the Stonehaven 5K.
The other good thing that happened this year was that Vikki and I both joined the Stonehaven Running Club, and so met a whole new bunch of interesting (and fast) people, and started doing moonlit runs once a month.

About this time last year, I set myself some targets for the year. So how did I do:
  • partial success; new PBs at 10K and at 5K, but missed by a long way at the half marathon
  • sort of; the Ythan Challenge took me longer than an hour but it's not a straightforward 10K
  • not really close to 50mins
  • no hill races but I did do the Ythan which was something a bit different
  • complete success; I'm still having fun.
So, that just leaves targets for 2009. Basically, the same as 2008: a PB or two, some decent times, a 50min 10K, participation in some different events, and keep on smiling. Vikki and I are already signed up for some interesting events in 2009, so we'll hopefully have some stories to tell.

Sorry if this post is a bit dull and self-indulgent. If I don't post again before them, I hope you all have a great Hogmanay tomorrow and have a fantastic time on 2009.

5 comments:

Ian said...

Pretty good going, all in all. The having fun part would be the most important one.

Ian said...

Apologies for the double comment, but I neglected to add my wishes for a happy Hogmanay to the 5 of you.

Vikki said...

Thanks! Happy Hogmanay to the 3 of you!

Fi said...

Happy New Year to all of you! Hope you had fun and are not nursing bad heads for tomorrow's first run of 2009.
Fi...xxx

Vikki said...

Hya Fi, we had fun, went to the fireballs and got quite merry but not too bad that we were hangover. I think Iain may blog about it tomorrow after we've done the race as well. I have been sensible today and stayed sober. Meanwhile Iain has drunk 2-3 glasses of wine, 2 whiskies, and 1 bottle of beer today. I think he's not taking it seriously!