Wednesday 22 August 2007

Mmmmm, chips!

BATTLE TO BE TOP CHIPPER IS WARMING UP
I'd like to bring your attention to this article, simply because we've eaten from two of the establishments mentioned within the last couple of weeks. While staying in Fort William, we sampled the fare at Sammy's in Caol. The food was good, and there's a great view of the whole Nevis range from outside the front door. However, I don't seem to remember the staff being particularly friendly. To be honest, the staff at The Bay in Stoney tend to be polite and efficient rather than friendly, but it is still one of the best chippers around where they do a great haddock supper and various daily specials. I can't comment on the other contenders but local bias dictates that I'll be supporting The Bay. Whatever happens, it should be a Scottish chipper that wins because you generally can't get a decent red pudding supper south of the border.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you've eaten at the two I've never heard of! We have friends in Dalgety Bay and near Glenrothes so maybe we should start a poll. As for Anstruther I know it's won in the past but I felt that they relied on the reputation and were over priced.
I'm only interested coz I can't get a decent fish supper here!! ;-)
Fi...xxx

Jen said...

I LOVE fish 'n chips! But. . . I don't eat them very often. The waistline starts yelling at me, even though my brain tries to soothe it with, "shhhh. . . .it'll be okay. No one can hear your screams. . .shhhhh. . . " ***stroking waistlines back***

Actually, one of these years, I would enjoy tasting "original" fish 'n chips - not just the American version. I'm sure it's not the same.

shanksi said...

I remember having decent fish and chips in a few places on the New England coast - possibly around Hampton Beach, NH and Plymouth, MA as well as a few other places. Seemed like the only times in the US where you could order chips and not get crisps.
You ladies are both very welcome to come over to Stoney for a visit and sample the local fare.

Anonymous said...

As Fi's friend in Dalgety Bay I feel I have to stand up for my chippy. I am proud (my doctor would not be)to say we regularly frequent this establishment and voted for it last year. The owner is very friendly and the queue on a Friday night is huge.

I have also eaten in the Anstruther one and it's good too. I see a mission looming to visit them all before the finals in November!

Alison

shanksi said...

Hi Alison, thanks for taking the time to enhance our blob with your comments. If you do manage to get to any of the other chippers mentioned let us know what you think.