Monday 3 September 2007

Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud

It's been over 10 years since Vikki and I last went to a big music festival which may seem surprising when you consider that:
  • We generally love live music
  • I like beer. A lot
  • I like camping. Waking under canvas and getting up to cook bacon on a wee stove is one of life's simple pleasures.
  • I like looking at women in short skirts or shorts and black or brightly-coloured tights.
However:
  • I'm not a huge fan of big crowds
  • Trudging through ankle deep (and deeper) mud several times a day is not much fun
  • I hate people who become obnoxiously loud and inconsiderate when drunk
Connect 2007 featured all of the above items and a whole lot more, much of which we didn't have time to take in.
The best stuff (as far as I was concerned) was:
  • the music - will post more but generally I thought the music was very good. Highlights included Mogwai, JAMC, and Jarvis
  • the Fyne Ales beer tent - lovely beer
  • Bumble puddings - the Sticky Toffee and Ginger Spice were brilliant
  • Inveraray village - nice toilets, a phone box, good cafe, friendly locals, great scenery
  • managing to meet up with Liz and Dave on Saturday
  • free hugs
  • the kids collecting the drinks cups and making heaps of extra pocket money
  • the blokes in tweed jackets
  • our bucket
Not so good stuff included:
  • the distance from carpark to campsite - this was a killer while laden down with camping equipment
  • mud
  • drunken idiots making far too much noise when we were trying to sleep - particularly the ones who were cheering as people slipped on the muddy slope in the campsite
  • not getting a mobile phone connection and not being able to meet up with Liz and Dave on Friday
  • festival toilets - probably better than expected but still not nice
Those are my general impressions. I'll list the bands we saw in some future posts with some more comments. If anyone happens to read this who was also there, please leave a comment - it would be nice to get some more impressions of the weekend.

4 comments:

Ian said...

Last festival I went to the weather was freezing and I left half way through BB King's set, which was just before the headliner came on. I may be officially old.

Jen said...

Yeah, I was with Ian that day. It felt like we waited for 10-hours (I even slept a few times) before BB King made his appearance. By then, frozen, tired, and not caring - we left while BB was performing. If I remember correctly most of the grass seats were empty by then anyhow.

I haven't since been to another music fest either.

Maybe we are old?

shanksi said...

Aye, you pair are obviously getting on a bit.

Or maybe you just didn't dress warmly enough, suggesting you're not that old yet.

Vikki and I were just saying that festivals should have an "old fogeys' quiet camping field" where loud noise late at night would be discouraged. Now, that's getting old.

Anonymous said...

Connect 2007, 501.75 times better than Connect 4... I should be in advertising!

Last time I went to a festival, the Levellers were playing. I'm definitely old!