Thursday 28 June 2007

Google Hate U

Following on from the embedded slideshow story, I just found another really useful feature in Google's products that appears to have been available for ages, but only if your language is set to "English (US)". I was looking for a Greasemonkey script or Firefox extension that could easily add stuff (selected text, information from emails etc.) to Google Calendar and discovered that, if you can't spell harbour properly, there is already a feature in Gmail that will sniff out some event information from your email and display an "Add to Calendar" link. It's pretty cool although I would suggest some improvements, like automatically setting the Description in the calendar entry to be the full text of the email, and allowing non-US folks access to it. I still want an extension so I can select any text and create an event using a Google Calendar Quick Add style thing though.

1 comment:

Ian said...

I assume it's because, if you have language specific web pages, making changes across them all is a pain in the arse, takes ages and requires loads of testing by foreigners.