Sunday 26 April 2009

Taking the High Road (part 1)

NB The twin effects of wine and lack of sleep mean that I'm not going to finish this post, but I'm going to post it anyway, and finish off in another post tomorrow (probably). In the meantime, there are some photos on Vikki's Picasa site, and congratulations to all who ran at the various events around the country this weekend. Anyway, on with the post....



The Bonnie Banks O' Loch Lomond is thought to have been written by a soldier contemplating his death. This was just one of the many things that went through my mind as I ran, walked and limped up the West Highland Way from Rowardennan to Bein Glas on the third leg of the Highland Fling. Basically, I had a disappointing run. The first five or six miles went well and I felt pretty good, but then the legs felt like jelly and I really struggled to get going after that - it didn't help that the path was practically impossible to run on in bits (think rocks, streams, tree roots, and staircases), and it was getting quite warm until the brief hailstorm.


Despite all that, it was a good fun weekend - well, it was away from the kids so it was bound to be good. Vikki and I drove down on Friday, made a trip to central Glasgow to join the Daily Record journalists strike, had a nice meal at Il Pavone which was partly spoiled by poor service, and then spent the night at the Premier Inn at Milngavie who were really good and went out of their way to make sure we could get some breakfast before the race.


Vikki ran the first leg from Milngavie to Drymen in a very respectable time, despite ignoring this advice and going the wrong way. She was the first Stonehaven relay runner to reach the Drymen handover which was a great achievement considering the experience of the others.

8 comments:

Vikki said...

You mean I was the first of the Stoney runners and the other two runners were in their 60s. I loved my run apart from missing that turn off! Well done to everyone who took part.

Alex said...

So, how was running down the A81? Dangerous?

Well done indeed.

Vikki said...

Alex - running down the A81 was alright as it wasn't busy but we were all panicking a wee bit cos we were worried about getting lost. Then someone said we could rejoin the route so it was ok.

Ian said...

Nice going. I notice the kilt didn't make an appearance. Probably the right decision. Were you the Queens of Stonehaven RC club that is listed on the results page?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Fantastic job both of you! It's hard to do a run - especially FINISH- when your legs feel like jelly, so huge props to you too Iain for doing so! Vikki you are an inspiration! I hope to be fast like you one day. . .

Yes, no kilt? Hmmm . . .

I did see that even if one did not make the left turn, one could rejoin later. How many miles did that add on to the run?

Fi said...

I didn't realsie you were doing the Milngavie to Drymen leg. If I had known I'd have gone back up to Glasgow and come to cheer you on since I wasn't cheering at the TV for poor Elsabet. My folks are in Jordanhill, only about 4/5 miles from Milngavie!
There are some lovely places to eat in Milngavie and Bearsden too.....if only I'd known I'd have recommended...
Well done on the run anyway guys!
Fi...xxx

Vikki said...

Hi all, yes we were Queens of the Stonehaven RC. Our team all live in Queens Road and it was an homage to Queens of the Stone Age (the band). Jen - I'm not that fast! I had the easiest bit believe me. The unplanned detour didn't add much distance, maybe quarter to half a mile at most, thank goodness! Cost me in time though as I stood about pondering what to do... I should've swotted up the route! I'd never run in a race with no marshals before. You had to concentrate on going the right way in this race. I lost my confidence a bit after the detour so I stayed at the same pace as a couple of ladies from Falkirk Harriers but it probably cost me some time as one of them needed to walk up the hills.
Fi - It's a long way for you to come! We will be closer to you in July as we are going to Center Parcs in the lake District.