Monday 31 March 2008

8 weeks later

Magnus is eight weeks old already so I thought I would give you an update on how things are going. The main thing is that Magnus is a really good baby and is happy most of the time. He is feeding well and he's only had two formula feeds and all the rest from the breast which I'm pleased about. He usually wakes us up once in the night around 5 am so we are getting some sleep. He still gets a bit gripey but Woodwards Gripe Water seems to work. We are also using cloth nappies and that is going well too. Doesn't seem like much extra work and I keep thinking of how much money we are saving, especially since we didn't need to buy the nappies as they are from a friend. I think he's started smiling but I can't make him do it so these photos don't really show it but he was smiling within minutes of the photos being taken:

2008-03-30 More Magnus


I have managed to have two 2.5 mile runs with JogScotland and the second was a lot better than the first due to wearing two bras instead of one... I've signed up for the Baker Hughes 10k again so my first race back will be the same one as my last race befor having Magnus. I wasn't going to do that cos I thought I didn't want to get a slower time than last year; then I thought it doesn't matter, I just want to race again! I might even do Balmoral if my sister backs out of it! I also swam 36 lengths this morning so my fitness is getting back to normal. Now I hear Magnus crying upstairs so I'd better sing off.

6 comments:

Ian said...

Cloth nappies? Wow, how is that not much extra work? Well done on getting back to the running, when's the 10k?

Nikki said...

I've been looking at cloth nappies too. how many extra loads of washing does it create? The instructions I read said you had to wash them twice, once in cold water and then again in warm water. Sounds like a lot of washing.

Vikki said...

Magnus is going through 6 nappies (average) in 24 hours so it's about an extra quarter of a load of washing a day. I've always had to do washing every day due to Lachlan and Calum being messy and Iain and I being sporty so it's no big deal to me. I rinse the nappies in cold water if they are poopy then wash them once at 40degC in the machine. You should go for it! Especially since you'd be able to hang them outside to dry most of the year as you get the weather for it. I'm looking forward to hanging them outside but we are still a bit cold and wet here. Can you get a trial pack so you can try different brands? Here they are really promoting them and they even do a nappy laundering service. I definately recommend them.
The Baker Hughes 10k is 25th May. It looks like my sis is backing out of Balmoral so I'll probably run that on 26th April - can't wait!! Are you running at all?

Nikki said...

hang my washing out??? are you mad, surely that's what tumble dryers are for!!! (whilst using even more electricity, damaging the environment etc.)

I've seen a few websites where you can buy trial packs of different cloth diaper brands. Have you seen those ones with inserts? They look quite easy to use. I'd like to at least give it a go, but some day care places don't like them so I might have to use a combination of cloth and disposables.

Vikki said...

When we lived in Boston our landlady told us that we were her first tenants who hung washing outside. I think it was considered a trashy thing to do as it might make people think you don't own a tumble dryer! We also amazed our landlady by walking the half mile in to the town centre instead of driving...
Magnus is using Motherese nappies which are a waterproof outer pant, cloth nappy folded up inside and a fleecy liner. I've found them no bother so far. I sympathise with your problem with daycare; my friend Heather has to go back to work full time in Aug after having her daughter 2 weeks after M was born. She's been visiting nurseries and told the folk she was using cloth nappies. Most of them will use them if you provide them but you collect a bag of dirty nappies with your baby at the end of the day! But I presume if you are working you'll be able to afford the nappy laundering service if they have that in Houston. I'm mainly using them to save money (since I don't earn any), sod the environment!
PS have you looked at prams yet? I'm loving my Phil & Teds!

Jen said...

Many years ago I babysat for a family that used cloth diapers. The baby is now a 24 year old man studying monkeys in another country, which is beside the point (yeah, I'm old). My point is, is that I loved using cloth diapers on the baby! They were awesome. Of course, they had a service come to pick up the dirty nappies wash/launder them and then return the cloth diadee's fresh and clean. I always wanted to do this myself if I ever had a wee little one.

BTW - Magnus is looking handsome - not that I expected anything less.