Monday 28 April 2008

One of these days...

...I might just beat Vikki at the Balmoral 10K, but it didn't happen this time. Vikki has done really well since resuming her training after her 10 month break, and managed an excellent time of 57:05, only 6 seconds slower than last year. My training has been seriously hampered by gout and a sprained ankle, so I was quite pleased that I was even able to run on the day, let alone finish in 59:31, my best time on the Balmoral course, despite the ankle holding me back a bit on the downhill bits, feeling leaden legged by about 7km, and being sexually harassed by one of the other competitors (I managed to overtake Vikki without seeing her on the hill and she touched my behind when she went ahead again). Vikki and I accidentally got separated from the Daviator before the start. He did well in his first event and managed a decent time of 1:03:08. Earlier in the day, Lachlan and Calum took part in the 1.5K Primary School race, and finished in 9:59 and 10:20 respectively, a great effort from both of them. Here's a picture of all the runners with their medals:



All in all, we had an enjoyable weekend staying at the Hilton Craigendarroch in Ballater to celebrate Vikki's mum's birthday. Will post more photos and stories another time.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I can't believe it's been a year already! Seems like just yesterday I was reading about last years Balmoral 10K where Vikki kicked your bum once before. We may not be able to beat you at Scrabulous - oh. Wait. Vikki has done that once too!

D'oh!

Good job to Calum and Lachlan!

Ian said...

Congratulations all round. Is that your first 10k under an hour Iain?

57:05 for a 10k with time for sexual harassment, 2 months after giving birth. That's rather impressive.

shanksi said...

Jen: It is amazing how time flies. Before you know it, Magnus will probably be kicking everyone's butt at something.

Ian: Thanks. It's my first time under an hour at Balmoral but I've been quicker - at Baker Hughes last year and Lumphanan on the 2nd Jan.

Vikki said...

Thanks for the compliments folks! I'm amazed at getting back in to the running so quickly myself. I must be mad! (Or I'll do anything for 2 hours a week of me-time). When Iain talks about sexual harassment it was only a tap on the bum :-). Iain has been really unlucky with the gout so his training wasn't as consistant as mine. He did beat me at Baker Hughes two years ago and that was probably the fairest race as we were both fully fit. Roll on this year's Baker Hughes on the 25th May.
Ian - it's actually 3 months since giving birth already so not quite so impressive; Doesn't the time fly?!

Ian said...

Ah, so it is. Well in that case, I'm disappointed. With 3 whole months to recover you should have beat your personal best.

Vikki said...

3 months to recover but only 6 weeks of training! I'm hoping for a PB at Baker Hughes since I'll have 4 more weeks of training. Lack of sleep might be a problem though cos Magnus is waking us up at ~4:30am for a feed...